Ten Ways Forest Make Us Better
2. DECREASE ASTHMA: Trees filter airborne pollutants and reduce conditions that cause asthma and other respiratory problems.
3. DECREASE OBESITY: Residents of areas with the most greenery are three times as likely to be physically active and 40% less likely to be overweight that residents in the least green settings.
4. IMPROVE PHYSICAL HEALTH: Post-surgical patients with window views of nature have shorter hospital stays, receive fewer negative evaluations and take fewer pain meds than patients in similar rooms with windows facing a brick wall.
5. IMPROVE MENTAL HEALTH: Spending time in green spaces with trees reduces stress and brain fatigue.
6. UV PROTECTION: In 50% shade, sunburn protection last 2.5 times longer than when standing in direct sunlight.
7. REDUCE NOICE: Tree and shrub buffers can reduce 50% of the noice heard by the human ear.
8. REDUCE TRAFFIC ACCIDENTS: Highway drivers with views of natural roadsides display higher frustration tolerance.
9. REDUCE VIOLENCE: Trees & natural landscapes in public housing reduce domestic aggression and violence as much as 25%.
10. IMPROVE NEIGHBORHOODS: In buildings with trees, residents report a stronger feeling of unity and cohesion with neighbors, feel safer and like where they are living more than residents who have few trees around them.